A typical 1-day bespoke intermediate navigation course will include the following aspects:
- Use landforms and point features to orientate the map and as collecting and catching features.
- Understand how elements such as the terrain affects pacing and timings
- Use a compass to: Accurately follow a bearing; aim off; check the direction of handrails and other linear features.
- Simplify legs using coarse navigation, attack points and fine navigation.
- Recognise dangerous or difficult terrain on map and ground.
- Plan and implement navigational strategies based on the above skills.
- Recognise a navigation error within a few minutes and apply appropriate relocation techniques.
Important Notes: Included in the price is tea & coffee throughout the day, but you’ll need to bring your own lunch. The afternoon will be predominantly outside (weather permitting), so please bring appropriate clothing for the weather. We provide all participants with resources for the session including maps and compasses.